Maturity presents itself in many unexpected forms. One day, you’re stuck in bed cradling a bowl of rice and watching Meryl Streep movies, nursing the worst hangover you’re sure anyone has ever had. You’ve WebMD’d all your symptoms, cursed Burnetts, and vowed to start a new life next week. One full of good decisions, and possibly the occasional vegetable.
Before you know it, you’re paying internet bills and making budgets and saying foreign things like “I can’t go out tonight, I have a deadline tomorrow”, “I’ll just have one glass of wine, 60 minutes is airing an interesting special on conspiracy theories tonight and I want to be sober enough to remember it,” and “are these carrots organic?”.
It happens to the best of us. Here are 10 signs you are becoming a mature adult.
- You recently bought a blender and got so excited you had to sit down and take a moment to collect your thoughts.
- You have caught yourself saying something along the lines of “this red has an oaky taste, with notes of wood and overtones of black pepper”.
- You own matching pajamas.
- You have actually spent recent Sundays not dying of a hangover. You may have spent a few at a farmer’s market perusing the leeks.
- You are someone who buys leeks.
- You may not have a mortgage or fully know what it is, but at least you do know that it has something to do with owning a house.
- You can afford the Venti size at Starbucks.
- You have REAL CHEESE that doesn’t resemble dust in your refrigerator. Which, by the way, is not a mini fridge!
- You know how to write a cheque.
- You decide to walk the four blocks instead of calling an Uber, because exercise and budgets are things you are rapidly becoming familiar with, despite all efforts to the contrary.