My Strange Addiction: watching vegan “what I eat in a day” videos.
Real talk. I like to watch them whilst eating my fourth pizza of the week and secretly wishing I could be like these exotic, banana-wielding superhumans.
Unfortunately, I like cheese too much. And I’m too broke to afford to try the suspiciously grey block of mystery labelled “vegan cheese” in the dairy aisle. But the other thing I’ve come away from watching these videos with, aside from a crippling sense of morality and guilt in my status as Human, is an addiction to smoothies. It’s incredible to watch someone consume 12 bananas in liquid form.
I recently went to Costco and spent 15 minutes staring in fascination at the woman giving a demo of Vitamix blenders. It was like magic! She literally chucked entire objects in, somehow culminating in a deliciously flavourful creation. Whole pineapples were going in! Bags of kale! Entire lemons, seeds and all! She could have probably added a deflated football and it would have worked! I was hooked.
I returned to my parents house, which, among other things, also houses a Vitamix blender, and got to blending. I made so many green juices, smoothies, and ice creams that even my mother, normally the primary advocate for vegetables in my house, had to talk me down.
I then returned to Charlottesville and was faced with a much sadder, less impressive blender. But I had a freezerful of frozen fruits and a mini-fridge full of bags of spinach and stolen dining hall bananas (a broke college student’s gotta do what a broke college student’s gotta do), so I got cracking.
Making ado with what I have, I’m fairly confident I’ve mastered the art of the smoothie bowl (AKA the object of every Instagrammable brunch lover’s wet dreams). Obviously, these are just guidelines and you can substitute whatever combo your little heart desires! Read on for my fave recipe and let me know what you would put in yours in the comments below.
You Will Need
- 1 whole banana, chopped
- 1,5 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- drizzle of honey
- enough orange juice to cover the blades of your blender completely
- TO TOP: extra banana, fresh berries, almonds, granola
- Pour in juice first then add the rest of the ingredients and blend.
- Wow this is the shortest “recipe” I’ve ever created and I don’t know how to utilize the rest of this space… so allow me to share a couple of tips:
- MAKE SURE YOUR BERRIES ARE FROZEN. Fresh berries won’t work as it’s the icy component that makes the bowl more solid than a regular smoothie!
- You can sub in agave for the honey or remove it altogether- I don’t always use it as the banana is plenty sweet, but sometimes it adds a little extra kick that I appreciate.
- If your end product is too runny, add some more frozen berries.
- Conversely, if your end product is too stiff and won’t blend, add an extra splash of OJ.