Nutella just makes everything infinitely better. Waffles are bland, fluffy, glutinous objects without it. Crepes are blasphemous without it. And you have been wasting your time if you’ve been eating your peanut butter & banana sandwiches without this delicious, chocolatey spread.
Not usually one for French toast, I’ve lately been in the mood to French toast-ify just about everything. Pancakes? Sure, why not! Pumpkin bread? How seasonal!
This Nutella-stuffed French toast is the brainchild of these two culinary interests. Perfectly eggy-soft on the outside, warm chocolately-goodness on the inside.
You Will Need
- 1 loaf of your favourite crusty, rustic bread
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- For the strawberries: 2 cups chopped up strawberries, 2 tbsp. sugar
- In a medium bowl, combine the strawberries and sugar, stirring well. Cover with cling wrap and set aside for at least one hour or up to overnight.
- Beat together the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Whisk in the flour, sugar, and cinnamon, making sure to get every little lump out.
- Slice up your loaf of bread into about 8-10 thick slices (think: each slice should be about the size of two or three regular slices). Butterfly each individual slice 3/4 of the way, then slather a thick layer of Nutella in the opening.
- Dunk each piece of bread in the egg mixture evenly, then fry on a hot greased pan until golden brown on each side. Serve warm with a heaping spoonful of the macerated strawberries over top and diiiiive in.